Hearing evaluations and tests are performed to see how well you hear a variety of sounds. We recommend these screenings to anyone over the age of 50, or sooner if you’ve been experiencing hearing loss symptoms.
Better hearing improves the quality of one’s life whether it’s in a work environment or together with friends and family. At Beltone, we understand that some people are nervous to have a hearing test. We make it a priority to ensure you are comfortable for this painless procedure. Our goal is to help you get a handle on your hearing to improve the quality of your life.
What can I expect during my hearing evaluation?
Just like getting an eye exam to determine your visual acuity or going to the dentist to examine your teeth’s health, it is important to know if you have hearing loss and to what extent. We will never recommend hearing aids to those who don’t need them.
Prior to the hearing evaluation, we will ask lifestyle questions along with a health and hearing history to determine if further testing is necessary. We ask these questions to better understand your hearing goals and to determine if other factors may be hindering your hearing potential, such as medications.
During a hearing evaluation, you can expect:
- A visual examination of your ear to determine if there are any defects, injuries or objects that may be affecting your hearing.
- Air and bone conduction testing to see whether sound signals are reaching the cochlea in the inner ear from the outer ear. We also perform this test to see how well your inner ear is functioning.
- Word discrimination testing that is administered to determine how well you understand the words you hear to determine the level of hearing loss you may have.
All testing that is performed by Beltone practitioners are nationally accepted guidelines set forth by the International Hearing Society, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the American Academy of Audiology.
How long does a hearing exam take?
Please allow approximately 45 minutes to an hour for a hearing exam. Us getting to know you and your hearing goals is the utmost importance.
What can I expect after my hearing evaluation?
We ensure our patients that the results of their hearing test will be explained in a way that is easy to understand. After your hearing evaluation, you can expect:
- 1. Your hearing test results that will be explained to you in a way that is very easy to understand. We will go over the results together to see where you hear normally and where you’re missing out.
- 2. A hearing aid demonstration should you need hearing aids. We want to ensure your hearing aids not only fit your ears comfortably, but your lifestyle as well.
We will keep your hearing test on file, and invite you to come back in to get retested annually. Then, we will monitor your hearing year by year and see if any significant changes occur. And we’ll always answer any questions you may have along the way.
What does it cost to have a hearing test done at Beltone?
Our hearing tests are completely free and very thorough.
We offer comprehensive hearing evaluations at all six of our locations. Call us and we will pencil you in for a time that works best for you!